You Gotta Roll With It....
Ah well, Dad's back in dock for more probing and prodding. In fact they called him in the other week. So he spends a few days getting wound up about it, a couple of sleepless nights before I pick him and my Mam up and drive them down to the hospital. I had to get back to work so I left them with instructions to phone me as soon as they knew anything.Six hours later the poor buggers phone me. Six hours sat waiting to be seen to. Six hours not knowing just what the hell was coming.
"It's OK, everything's all right"
"Why what?ve they done?"
"Nothing".
"????????? Nothing????"
"Yeah, when they finally got your Dad onto the ward, the nurse came and asked a few questions before saying 'right then, let's get that catheter out then you can go home'"
"I've not got a catheter fitted" said Dad truthfully.
"Are you sure?" said the nurse.
"Have you ever had a catheter fitted love? You would bloody well know if you had one up I can tell you".
So off nursey goes, coming back ten minutes later with some profuse apologies and an explanation that included staff turnover, the outsourced clerical function, some guy called Cobleigh. And all.
So they finally get their act together a few weeks later and call him in for a check up. He has to stay in overnight and look forward to a camera up his penis in the morning. Some time. Or maybe the afternoon. Possibly even the evening.
Pleasant.
I watched the Bush/Kerry debate online the other night. The full 90 minutes. How anyone who watched it can honestly believe that Dubya came out of it looking anything but an incompetent is beyond me. And this was the one about foreign policy and homeland security - George Junior's strong point!
I have to say that I really don't know that much about Kerry, but how that incoherent, God-bothering smug little prick Bush could even be thought of as presidential is beyond me.
The man is blessed with all the absolute certainty of the terminally stupid. He's as certain he's correct in his world/otherworld view as Bin Laden and the rest.
I'm beginning to look with a truly critical eye at the concept of Democracy. Especially in a world where opinions are formed via news media owned and controlled by a rich and powerful few. Is it any better than a dictatorship? Well. Is it?
Is Elton back on the Coke? Not content with the "rude, vile, pigs" outburst in Taiwan or wherever, now he's dissing Madonna at the Q awards.
"Madonna, best f***ing live act? F*** off."
"Since when has lip-synching been live?.
"That's me off her f***ing Christmas card list but do I give a toss? No."
Now either she mimes (suddenly known as lip-synching) or she doesn?t. I have to say this though, she must be extremely fit if she can throw herself round the stage in those arduous dance routines while singing in tune and without loss of breath for hours and hours. Hmmmmmm
Still, Elton. Grow up.
Dearest and I have become great friends with a couple of contemporaries who have never listened to Neil Young (apart from the ubiquitous 'Heart of Gold' etc.) They've been to ours a couple of times now and have uttered comments like: "who's this? It's great!". So I'm sorting out an 'Introduction to Neil Young' CD for them both. How the hell do you reach the grand old age of 50 without ever knowing what Neil Young sounds like?
Anyway, as I put it together this evening - to distract me from the shenanigans with my father - I have ended up enjoying a marvellous trawl through the bugger's back catalogue - along with a few Long Island Teas. And mighty fine it was too. Mighty fine
Our friends are in for a treat.
No comments:
Post a Comment