When you Wish upon a Star
Wahey. That didn't take long did it? Subtle hint dropped to Dearest ("I want a lava lamp"), followed by Dearest calling me infantile. Later, in the pub, she attempts to ridicule my lava-ish longings in front of her girly mates. This results in one of the mates saying they have a lamp they have no further need for - having grown up presumably. Well, in my book growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional. I snapped her hand off.The colour's faded in the liquid but I'm sure I can sort that in the near future, although it looks ok as it is. In the meantime it's warming me cockles up in my refuge from the road. Dearest's just saved herself £50 an' all. I mean, I didn't want a cheapo.
My initial love affair with the Arrow digital radio station is beginning to fade. Why? Well, I'll tell yer.
Repeats that's what. Repeats.
I've been listening fairly regulrly for a week and I'm starting to tire of Brown Eyed Girl by Van I'm-a-fucking-intellectual-therefore-constantly-fucking-grumpy Morrison, Eric the-victim Clapton and CS friggin' N. Now don't get me wrong, I am not condemning this triumvirate's entire ouvre as shite - far from it. What is so depressing though is that Rock stations, like any other I guess, fall back on predictable playlisting in order to give the greatest happiness to the greatest number. So with Van - it's always ol' Brown Eyes, with Clappo: Layla and CSN: Ohio or Suite:Judy Blue Eyes. C'mon for fuck's sake, their respective catalogues hold so many many more treasures. Be brave. The audience you're attracting must be well capable of handling a little something off the beaten track.
Every month a copy of Word falls through my letterbox and a mighty fine read it is too. On their website they have a feature where readers set their iPods, iRivers, or whatever MP3 devices they have to hand, and set them to shuffle. They then have to post the first five tracks that are played.
Obviously it doesn't have to be portable devices, it can be whatever turns up on iTunes, Musicmatch, Winamp or owt else that can be set to random, shuffle or whatever. So, here's mine. How about you?
Road to Hell - Chris Rea. Unfashionable I know but, there you go, we all have guilty pleasures.
Eye to Eye - Audience. Obscure band from the early seventies. Probably the weakest track from their excellent album "The House on the Hill".
Lakes of Ponchartrain - Paul Brady. A favourite from my folk club days. I have been known to perform it, but I have to hold my hands up and confess others did it better.
Va Va Voom - Va Va Voom. This is off a jazzy compilation album. Didn't know I had it and have made a mental note to delete it as it's taking up valuable space.
Woman - John Lennon. You know, of all the Lennon tracks on my iPod, tracks with street cred and artistry, I have to end up with this maudlin affair. C'est la vie.
Over to you and no cheating.
Is anybody having problems with pop-ups when accessing this blog?
15 comments:
Got 2 big pop-ups when I first loaded your blog. Sorry I can't tell you what they were, coz I closed them straight away. I'm running Firefox, which normally blocks pop-ups.
Came out of your site then back in, and didn't get any pop-ups this time.
- Tony -
Steve - you should try Planet Rock. They have about four records in total, one of them being Layla, the others being that Hocus Pocus thing that has yodelling in, Sweet Home Alabama and the last Back In Black. Except when Rick Wakeman's on. He has a few MORE records. Nice lamp! We have 2!
I have just read some of your previous posts and have come to the conclusion that a) I KNOW you in person(unlikely!) b) you post on another message board I do, or c) you and dearest LIVE near me. Could any of this be true?
Pop ups for me too when I load your blog.
Faerywitch - Failsworth close enough?
Clayton Bridge (posh Newton Heath !) near Berry Brow
Brown Eyed Girl is the only Van Morrison song I have ever heard on the radio. And I must have heard it about 10,000 times.
My MP3 1st five tracks:-
1. R.O.D. - The Fall
2. Easter Parade - The Blue Nile
3. Cary Grant's Wedding - The Fall
4. I Want You - Bob Dylan
5. Leave The Capitol - The Fall
I know I haven't got that many albums on it yet, but that's taking the piss. Is it the ghost of John Peel?
No pop ups.
The best programme on the Arrow is on Sunday night, about 6 or 7 and is devoted to newish Americana.
I heard Family on BBC 6 the other day. You go about twenty five years without hearing the buggers then they become ubiquitous!
I'm using Firefox No pop ups at all. And am looking forward to shuffling 5 the way to work. And just as I type that last bit a pop-up appears. Seams to be sourced from Ilead and its for WWF. Don't know if it was your page or the comment box that generated it.
Hmm...
1) Style Council - Walls Come Tumbling Down (how bloody freaky is that!)
2) Dido - Take my Hand
3) Evanescense(sp?) - My Immortal
4) Tori Amos - Taxi Ride
5) Nick Harper - Kilty Stone
I know. I should get out the herbal tea and get in the bubble bath.
And yes, iLead appear to be your pop-up providers.
1 Suitcase of Leather - Delevantes
2 Serenade Sound - Go Betweens
3 Full Moon Show - Grievous Angels
4 I'll Be Comin' Round - Bottle Rockets
5 I'll Go To My grave - Scott Miller
Oh dear, twang overdose!
Owner of a Lonely Heart - Yes
Flying Dutchman - Jethro Tull
ABoneCroneDrone3 - Sheila Chandra
There's No Home For You Here - The White Stripes
River Man - Nick Drake
Not a bad selection. My ten year-old son liked 'Owner of a Lonely Heart', so I guess my copy of '90125' will be disappearing upsatairs tonight.
1. The Jam - That's entertainment.
2. Mozart piano concerto in A
3. Canned heat - On the road
4. Eddie Floyd - Knock on wood
5. New Order - Regret
I haven't got an iPod so is it ok I give you the next five off my winamp list. That Mozart one was a surprise. If I'd have been listening depending on my mood I might have skipped that one.
No Popups!
I found a great rock station in Maryland once and I sung its praises at my hosts, they laughed and said "you wait", after a week I realised they had about 10 CDs!
My MP3 player has been hyjacked by a Bromite, I dread to think what I'd get! but I'll give it a try here using the Mike de hat Winamp method...
Joe Satriani, Surfing in a Blue Dream
Marillion, Seasons End
Opeth, Ghost of Perdition
Def Leppard, Love Bites
Jadis, Counting all the seconds.
Of course it's Flying in a blue dream (confusing it with surfing with the Alien)
Post a Comment