Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happiness is Easy


Howdy doody everybody. Am I back? Who knows. I am today at least. So we'll see how it goes. It's been a hard few months with brief moments of optimism so I've not really been in a mood for spouting nonsense on t'Internet.

I'm just glad the "festive season" has finally fucked off. This year has been particularly difficult but I've done it now and hopefully I can move on. I've been worried sick about my Mam's ability to cope with her first Xmas without my Dad but, fortunately/unfortunately, her disintegrating mind has allowed most of it to wash over her. Today she's had a call from her brother in South Africa to go and stay with him for a few weeks so she's perked up a bit at that.




I'm still a part time postman and I still fucking hate it. What an institutionalised management style they have in the Royal Mail Group. Here's an example:-

"I will be needing a day off sometime in January, what's the procedure?"

"You come and see me and I'll tell you if you can have the day off or not."

I made a mental note to phone in sick as I stared into the power-mad face of the managerial - and indeed social - inadequate. The man's a fucking buffoon. What do you think he thought he'd achieved with that reply? It was the first time I'd ever spoken to him. It was a basic, general query about a basic necessity of ALL employees. Why did he feel the need to demonstrate his "power"? Why the aggressive response? Why the flicker of a smirk playing around the corners of his lips?

Because he's what happens when you promote some fucker beyond his abilities. Believe me The Royal Mail Group is full of 'em. Self-important "overseers" who bellow orders at those at the bottom of the ladder and then stand there watching the work being done without pitching in themselves. Fred Engels would've recognised the working environment I now find myself in. Honestly.

But I can't leave until I get something else. I can't just walk out or I'll be picking up bad references and the stigma that attaches itself to those who just stick up two fingers and bugger off. I have a few irons in the fire but it'll be a few weeks before any of them become potential get outs. Here's hoping.

Once I've sorted my mail and got out of the sorting office though, life isn't so bad. Some days I walk round with the iPod on, set to "shuffle" and an instruction to listen to everything - regardless of what it is. Some days I just get pissed wet through. Other days freezing cold. Most days knackered.

On the plus side I'm a hell of a lot fitter - walking 6 to 8 miles a day and having a two week break from drink - I've lost nearly 2 stone in 6 weeks. It's costing me a fortune in new clothes though. But on the whole it's still better than sitting at home all day doing fuck all.


I'm enjoying my music again and have seen a few good bands over the past few weeks. Tunng I especially enjoyed. Sigur Ross's new "LP" is a constant on t'iPod and I'm discovering a band from my hometown who are massive on the continent - Puressence. Youngest was at school with the lead singer and was at the local, small and intimate gig they did just before New Year at a local dive. Lead singer James Mudrickzi has invited to sing along side Leonard Cohen and Rufus Wainwright in the spring Judy Collins tribute in the US. He's got a fabulous voice and he is extremely honoured and blown away by the invite.




And finally......it's photography time again. Eeeeee I love this Pentax K100D DSLR. I'm thinking of setting up a proper photoblog but until or if I do I'll stick the ones I like best on here. So, here you go:-

Manchester from Cutler Hill Failsworth 3 Mancunian Sunset

Manchester at sunset. December 2007.

Anita Street New Cross Manchester

A street of "social housing", 5 minutes walk from the centre of Manchester.

Glowing Rocks

Table lamps on one of the European stalls in St Ann's Square, Manchester.

Billy Bragg 2

Billy Bragg at the Manchester Central. December 2007.

Mancunian Glow

In Manchester the streets are paved with gold.

Surreal Salford Quays

Salford Quays Dali-style.

Old Trafford

The Theatre of overpaid Tossers from across the Manchester Ship Canal.

Stop

Stop.

Hotel Room Barcelona

Hotel room.

Have a great New Year everyone.

13 comments:

timesnewroman said...

Happy New Year Steve! As ever, your photos are quite breathtaking!

Quinn said...

Isn't that second photo of Anita Street? If so then apparently it used to be called Sanitary Street, until it was cleansed, prettified and the name suitably abridged.

And is that a Talk Talk reference in the title of this post I see before me?

Either way, Happy New Year!

Bob Piper said...

Happy New Year to you too, comrade.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

You really do have an eye for some great photos. I especially liked the Dali-like reflection of Salford Quays. With regard to the streets of Manc being paved with gold, canine messages and takeaway trays might be closer to the truth. Happy 2008!

peter bowler said...

Good to see you back old boy, your photos are superb. I had thought about giving my job up to become a postie, but seeing what they are paid I changed my mind, judging from what you say, it wouldn't have been much of an escape anyway.

Just out of interest, have you read Saturdays Child by Ray Banks, which is set in some of the less salubrious parts of your fine city?

©gloop said...

Thanks for the comments everybody.

Pete - yes the pay of a postie is crap but my pension is a wonderful thing and I do need a structure to my day.

Quinn - yes it is Anita Street. I never knew about the previous name. Thanks for the info.

TNR, Bob and YP thanks and have a good 'un.

©gloop said...

BTW

Quinn - yes. Talk Talk.

Pete, no haven't come across Ray Banks. I'll dig him out and give him a go.

Reidski said...

I'll join in the Happy New Year chorus - hope you have a good 'un!

Anonymous said...

Belated Happy New Year.
Fantastic photos !
Good luck on the job front.

harry bell said...

Belated Happy one. A while back I thought I might have to supplement the vast income of a working artist by maybe doing some postie work, but I'm rather glad I didn't have to, now I've read your post. Keep on keeping on while you have to.

Excellent photographs.

©gloop said...

Cheers everyone.

If you see a headline about a postman turning "rogue" and decimating a local Mail Centre.......that'll be me.

;-)

Jennytc said...

I think your photos are brilliant!

Anonymous said...

I too am glad to see the back of the 'festive' season - just a major injunction to spend money we don't have!

I really enjoyed your posting and photographs. Keep up the fight against institutionalised bullying by managers, wherever tey are!