Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

I Keep Singing That Same Old Song

Today I bought this - to feed my inner child. A child that was/is musically rampant 1964-present.

It's a herding together of three or four "Sampler Albums" that Island Records pioneered in the late 60s and early 70s. Albums that are indelibly printed deep within my very DNA. This grey matter will still be hummin' tunes, solos (guitar, organ, crumhorn, drums, cittern, etc) and vocal pyrotechnics from these albums as my cadever either rots or burns.

Bliss.

I also snapped up a remastered "Bless The Weather" by John Martyn.

I spent the night in my eyrie, with a decent bottle of red and these 'blasts from my past'. Double bliss.




Mind you, I needed to, to try and rid my mind's eye of images of "Two Shags" breaking his wife's heart.

The twat.




If this sorry bunch of shiny, bland, balls of steel wool, smart suits, shields and shite, deserve anything then it should be the indifference of history. I can see it now, a classroom a hundred years hence: "Oh yes the Blair Governments? Well, they were essentially Thatcherite in all but name. Certainly many of the founders and stalwarts of the Labour Party wouldn't have recognised the sleazy, profit-fixated, ego-centric non-entities of the Blair/Brown years as socialists or, moreover, nice people to live next door to. I mean.....Margaret Hodge for fuck's sake? Charles Clarke? Hewitt? Phil Woolas!!!!!

And, when we vote them out of office, the fuckers'll pick up comfortable "jobs" here, there and everywhere.




Mind you, it looks like some of us attending Youngest's Stag Do in June may have just acquired tickets for a World Cup Game. Not an England one obviously, 'cos that would be chock full of the usual suspects and, after the England v Licheinstein game at Old Trafford, I'll never bother with attending a live England game again.

This attempt to acquire tickets (Czech Rep v USA) has taken weeks of 10 of our merry band constantly hitting the ticket websites day-after-day-after-day. And each ticket has cost 105 euros!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's hoping we actually get them.

4 comments:

timesnewroman said...

Thats more like it, music, football and a rant against the government! Sounds like a pretty good collection of Island tunes there. I think USA v Czech Republic could be a really good game to see, hope you get the tickets. Oh and Phil Woolas sounds like a right Tory.

peter bowler said...

Christ! I remember that album and now you have me singing the title song in my head.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I had those Island sampler albums myself and wore them to hell... Nick Drake, Spooky Tooth, King Crimson?... oh it's so long ago, how come I have turned into a grumpy old codger? I once offered John Martyn a fight but he declined and was hauled away by his minder. I never did like his stuff anyway.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

No, not King Crimson... it was Blodwyn Pig and there was also The Amazing Blondel from Sunny Scunny... ah such memories.