Search This Blog

Monday, June 16, 2003

American Tune

Hmmmm....The good ol' US of A hasn't done itself any favours in the *most popular country in the world* competition. A survey commissioned for a programme on BBC has revealed that most of the rest of the planet are not too happy with the land of the brave and the free. I would imagine that the recent spats with most of Europe over the Iraq invasion haven't helped endear the most powerful nation in the world to the rest, but, even so, 57% of those polled is still quite high.

Just how much this will upset the American public is debatable - especially when you consider that only 1 in 5 of them have ever travelled outside their own country.

Staying on an American theme, is Iran next on the list for a *regime change* ? Its certainly starting to look that way. A senior White House official (Zalmay Kalilzhad) has been quoted as saying "US policy is not to impose change on Iran but to support the Iranian people in their quest to decide their own destiny," He went on to add "Our policy is not about Khatami (the reformist Iranian President) or Khamenei (the conservative "supreme leader")...

"It is about supporting those who want freedom, human rights, democracy, and economic and educational opportunity for themselves and their fellow country-men and women."


In addition, Mr Khalilzad accused Iran of supporting terrorist groups and developing nuclear weapons, and made it clear such behaviour was unacceptable.

There's a pattern emerging here isn't there ? Read it here.




Today's good news is that Pigs-in-Lipstick has returned ! Looks like server trouble was the cause of the enforced absence.




I'm still working on getting ths blog to look less like Simon's (where I nicked some of the code from). I really am crap at design though. So I expect it will be changing a lot more over the next few days or weeks, depending on how artistic I'm feeling.




Hey - I was a very lucky Dad yesterday as my two lads heaped presents on me in a thoroughly deserved show of gratitude, love and affection ;-). A nice Reebok polo shirt, Colin Scindler's book on the Summerbee clan "Fathers, Sons and Football" and a lovely Australian Red Cabernet Sauvignon Yellow Label from Wolf Blass vinyards.

Later in the day we went to a garden party and came home very, very drunk about 6 hours later. Sunshine, good food, good company and the finest wines available to mankind. A grand day all told !




Oh dear - the *world's richest club* in shady dealing shock.

No comments: