Ramble On
I've been a bit knackered of late. What with the cooking, cleaning, shopping.....working, I just don't seem to have time to myself at all. Still every cloud has a silver lining and in my case the silver lining has come in the form of "Learning How to Shop".Now I can already hear the half-stifled guffaws from male and female alike. "Learn how to shop ? He's 'aving a laugh ain't 'e ?"
Well no, I'm not. Like many other men (and more than a few women), I detest shopping. Honestly I would sincerely prefer to chew my own kneecaps off than willfully embark on a shopping expedition. Even when it's for stuff for myself. Stuff that I enjoy such as CDs, guitars and beer. The actual act of getting off my arse and going to shop for it fills me with dread.
Not any longer though. Having been forced into the role of *man the hunter* I am becoming as adept at purchase as Imelda Marcos in a shoe shop. On top of that, after a mere three weeks trolley pushing I can sense every bargain in the store, from BOGOFs to 50% EXTRA FREE !! I buy that many of the things it wouldn't surprise me if one week, after tilling up, they turned round and told me that they owe me money such is the shrewdness of my purchasing. God knows just how good at this I'll be before Dearest gets fully back on her feet.
Youngest organised a last-minute Hallowe'en fancy dress party at his house last Friday. Dearest and myself didn't dress up (too little notice really). We just went as the old(ish) relatives who sit in the corner getting inebriated, talking about "the good ol' days" and leaving at a still respectable hour.
Considering the time-scale there were some excellent costumes there. The Ginger Princess had evidently put much effort into her witch's outfit. Youngest's Darlin's Bride of Frankenstein was really good. But pride of place had to go to Youngest who came as.........Danger Mouse ! Complete with eye-patch, nose, ears and all-white cat-suit-type concoction. If only his Darlin' had gone as Penfold it would have been perfect.
A great win for City against Gordon Strachan's Southampton on Saturday. I just hope the rumours of a bust up between Keegan and Anelka are untrue.
So modern music - as peddled on such shows as Pop Idol - has got that bad that Parliament has had to step in to save it. Sadly, although it seems like the MPs are fighting for "talent over image" they are, in fact, merely championing the right of slightly fatter people to be as mediocre as the rest on national TV and Radio.
As we're discussing the music industry, Janis Ian has posted an article detailing the benefits of providing freely downloadable music on the web. She convincingly argues that, far from harming artists, it could open up a whole new market for them. She uses her own experiences to back this up. I know it's only one example but I'm still convinced that lack of CD sales has got more to do with the homogenisation of the industry and the product on offer than with internet downloading. It's just Fat Cats frightened of getting thinner believe me.
I am indebted to Fred over at Master of the House for the link.
No comments:
Post a Comment