Search This Blog

Monday, September 08, 2003

Just Another Day Without You

Well the second anniversary of 9/11 is almost upon us and the feature writers, photo editors, commentators and columnists are falling over themselves to bring us the definitive “two years on”. In Chile however, they’ve got very different reasons for remembering the date. Thirty years ago on Sept 11th 1973, Salvadore Allende - the democratically elected President - was overthrown in a military coup led by Margaret’s best mate: Pinochet.

Now, regardless of whether Allende’s Marxist agenda was right or wrong, there can be no denying that the people of Chile had voted for that agenda. There was no such choice available once Pinochet’s US-backed coup was successful. Countless political opponents of the new regime were to disappear in the years that followed and, even today – 30 years later – there is still a sharp divide between supporters of the two men.

Strange how democracy has to be seen to flourish in places like Iraq, but if the political complexion of the democracy in America’s backyard is the wrong shade then democracy gets thrown out of the window.




Went to the pub yesterday afternoon and what was on the (constantly-on-repeat-shuffle) CD player but the freebie that came with Saturday’s Mail. After the fourth or fifth hearing of Leonard Cohen’s “Suzanne”, it all got too much and we had to request a change of CD before we all started slitting wrists and necks. Later this was superseded by an impromptu karaoke session on the landlord’s “my-first-karaoke” machine. Voices as rough as a bear’s arse were smoothed on a sea of reverb. In fact there was so much reverb that you could finish singing, walk back to your table, sit down and drink half a pint before your voice stopped coming through the speakers.




I finally had the misfortune to get caught in the rain tonight as I biked home from work. I have been extremely lucky over the past few months in avoiding the stuff. Not so lucky tonight though. Just as I left work a few heavy drops started to fall. Soon I was pedalling along with a dire need to acquire some wipers for my glasses. I guess as we slowly trawl into Autumn, the chances of getting pissed wet through will increase.




I’m off to see England play Liechtenstein on Wednesday night. It’s the first time I will have ever seen the national team live. The only snag is I’ve got to enter Old Trafford. It’s a bit like Frodo having to go to Morder. Still, I must confess it’s infinitely preferable to Wembley. Now that place is the pits. All it was fit for was for demolishing. I can’t help but think the building of a new Wembley is a mistake. By anyone’s standards, since Wembley closed the England team’s “tour” of regional grounds has been a huge success. It’s also enabled them to leave the racist tosspots back down in London.

I wonder if Sven will risk Gerrard and Beckham. Both are on one yellow card and if they get one more it will mean that they are banned for the all-important trip to Turkey next month.




Blaine Watch

Security improved for Mr Blaine. On top of this he's been hoisted a bit further up so he will find it easier to get some shuteye. It's all terribly exciting and I just can't wait for the DVD.

No comments: